Monday, April 16, 2007

 

Out and about

Thanks to everyone in Stoke Goldington, Emberton, Petsoe, and Moulsoe who has taken the time to talk to me or one of the canvass team as we have been out in the villages this week.

I enjoy having the opportunity to talk to people, especially this week as the weather has been fantastic! Last Saturday I got to watch the Boat Race with a retired Royal Navy Admiral over a cup of Earl Grey, and this week I managed to catch the Grand National while out in Stoke. It is hard work, I promise you, so it's nice to catch a breather when you can.

One of the interesting things about canvassing is what you pick up on and the "vibe" of people in the ward. Over a few days I've picked up a very distasteful trend of personal slurs and comments that have been made about me by some of my opponents. You never quite get to pin down who exactly has been saying things about your character, but I don't suppose it matters. In Emberton last week I was told by a few of the residents that live in the sheltered housing in the village that my oppoenents have asked the pointed question "do you know who the Conservative candidate is?" and anyone who answers no is told that I'm "not from around here".
Now just to clarify on that one, I live in Emberton, on Newport Road to be exact. I grew up in Lancashire, but I hardly think that is a crime (unless you happen to be from the other side of the Penines, in which case it probably is!) and even less relevant.

It's a shame that I'm being characterised as alien, different, and an outsider because by an accident of geography I was born 100 miles away from the area I'm seeking to represent. It's a form of bigotry I don't like and all banter aside, the people I spoke to saw through it straight away and a couple of them sent my opponents off with a scolding. MK is a diverse place and I'd like to keep it that way.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?