Wednesday, November 15, 2006

 

Remembrance Day

I enjoyed Sunday's Rembrance Day parade and service at Newport immensly. It's an opportunity to see some of those who fought in defence of this nation in World War 2 and since and enjoy a conversation and a beer in the Legion afterwards. Sadly the numbers of those who served in WW2 are dwindling and I feel grateful that I am part of that last generation who will hear the stories of that time recounted by those who were there.

As a former serviceman myself I appreciate the need for us to recall the sacrifices made by others in the defence of what makes this nation so great. To the detractors of Remebrance Sunday I continue to argue its relevance in this troubled world. It is only by recalling the lessons of the past that we learn not to make mistakes again, and it is in recalling the sacrifice those men made that we understand the true impact of the decisions that are made in our name and the need for the democratic process. Now more than ever, in the wake of Iraq and Afghanistan the questoins are being asked about the need for our service men and women to place themselves in harms way. I would continue to argue the need to see through what we have started in order to build a stable political environment and to provide the infrastructure necessary to allow people to live their lives in peace. The sacrifice made by the 4 service personnel on Sunday whofell victim to a bomb in Iraq was a poignant reminder of our obligations and the courage and moral fibre of those who serve.

I heard one old soldier tell me that he is glad he doesn't have to serve in the army of today with it's increasing complexity. He himself went throuhg many hard tmies and lost many friends in the Far East, but he said at least it was clear who the enemy was. Now the modern British Army faces an indistinguishable threat that fights "asymetrically", or in an unconventional manner. It is a great credit to this cnostituency that our MP is a serving TA Major who spent his summer recess on operations in Afghanistan. His authority to speak out on this issue is now unquestioned. It is a sad truth that there are precious few MPs now who vote on where to commit the UK's armed forces have never served themselves. I hope that they do not view Rememberance Day as a motion that needs to be gone throuhg, but reflect long and hard on what it is and what it means. I saw many people from my own party at Sunday's events, including the Kenyons who are our stalwarts in that ward. I was dissapointed not to see our Lib Dem councillor for Sherington at the service. In the democratic process we all have our obligations to think long and hard about the impact of the decisions we make and Remembrance day acts as a focus of those thoughts on what I believe really matters.

Comments:
It is deeply offensive to me, as someone whose family has suffered, though not as badly as many, for you to politicize remembrance day as you have done. Also you should know that the Sherington member you refer to was, together with your friend and tory activist Richard Gates, at the Stoke Goldington Act of Remembrance (please try to spell it right) in her ward. BS
 
I merely commented that I was dissapointed not to see her at the service. I am glad to hear that she did attend at Stoke.

I am afraid that I am by no means the first to politicise Remebrance day (typo noted, though I type quickly and not 100% accurately) as others have done so already. It is one of the reasons why I am one of the founders of the British Armed Forces Federation and why I have, along with Lt Col Douglas Young, been working hard behind the scenes to set this excellent organisation up. Sadly it has become necessary to treat it thus for various reasons. There have been numerous "attacks" on what the day stands for, the main issue under discussion in the post. For me it will remain a day to recall not peace activism, the politics of gender or sexuality, or pacifism, or any of the other agendas that have both mis-understood and attempted to divert the central theme of what we are remembering, but a recognition of the sacrifice of many in the defence of freedom and the rejection of opperssion.
 
Typical Politician!!!

Instead of trying to dodge your blunder, why can’t you just say “sorry?” You have set yourself up by your posting, and now you have egg on your face.

Having a go at an established, very good Councillor and former Mayor Cllr Seymour was folly of the highest order and will not help your election chances and I speak as a natural Conservative, who’s Uncle was a Conservative Councillor for 16 years.

I would suggest that you offer Cllr Pat Seymour, her family and anyone else like me who are deeply offended by your comments an apology and spend your time trying to work across political party’s, maybe even with Cllr Pat Seymour, to stop the expansion that I understand Buckinghamshire Conservatives want to build in the villages.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?